Corrupted RAR Files
English | Deutsch
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about broken, corrupted, damaged, incomplete and partial RAR files:
Hi! I am a complete newbie to RAR files and I want to learn what to do with them. I was just wondering:
What is a corrupted RAR file?
- What is a corrupted RAR file?
- What is the difference between corrupted RAR files and a damaged RAR archive?
- Do you have a simple example corrupted RAR archive that I can use for testing?
- How can I open corrupted RAR files for free?
- It says 'CRC failed' and I'm not getting anything! Why?
- What does that corrupted RAR file Zugriffsverletzung-message say?
- Is there a way to fix a corrupted RAR file?
Hi! I am an absolute beginner and I have a question: There are corrupted RAR files, damaged RAR files, broken RAR files, partial RAR files, incomplete RAR archives, defect RAR archives etc. etc.
What is the difference between corrupted RAR files and a damaged RAR archive?
- A corrupted RAR file is a standard RAR file, a multipart RAR file or a protected RAR file, that was damaged intentionally or accidentally and has lost some of it's data.
- A corrupted RAR file is useless and can not be decompressed. RAR Extractors will return some sort of "CRC Checksum Error" or "RAR File corrupted" message.
- BE CAREFUL: Sometimes RAR files are used for phishing. Learn more in the phishing RAR files section of this FAQ.
Hi! I want to see that error message of my extractor and therefore I need a corrupted example file.
Do you have a simple example corrupted RAR archive that I can use for testing?
- This is easy: There is no difference. It's all the same.
- RAR files are also sometimes called RAR archives, RAR documents, RAR packages or just RARs. Corrupted RAR files can be called broken, damaged, defect etc. etc. as well. But still: It's all the same: A RAR file which cannot be opened, because of data loss.
Hi! I would like to uncompress some corrupted files that were compressed using the RAR algorithm. I noticed that Windows does not support RAR extraction.
How can I open corrupted RAR files for free?
- Yes, here is a small corrupted example RAR file: example_corrupted.rar.
- The file is as simple as possible: it is corrupted, but not password protected and it contains only one damaged file.
- Remember: This file is damaged and can only be used to experiment with the error messages that your RAR Extractor displays. It can not be extracted.
Hi! I downloaded all parts of a multipart RAR archive, but still the extractor doesn't extract.
It says 'CRC failed' and Im not getting anything! Why?
- There are lots of free programs that can open RAR files, e.g. RarZilla or Free RAR Extract Frog.
- BUT: There is no program that can open CORRUPTED rar files. They are broken, destroyed, rubbish.
- Solution: Stop trying and get yourself a fresh and unbroken copy of that RAR file. :-)
Hi! I just downloaded a broken rar file and started extracting. Then the following message comes up: "Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 01034F21 in Modul 'unrar.dll'. Schreiben von Adresse 000036B4." I have no idea what its saying.
What does that corrupted RAR file Zugriffsverletzung-message say?
- At least one of the parts is corrupted, that's why the 'CRC failed' message pops up. That happens often during transmission.
- Re-download all parts and make sure, that they are all in the same folder.
- Sometimes this still doesn't help, because the RAR files on the server might have been damaged already while uploading. In this case, try to contact the person who uploaded the multipart RAR file and kindly ask for a re-upload and repeat the steps above.
- Congratulations! Done. :-)
Hi! I would like to repair a few corrupted RAR files that were downloaded from some internet web site.
Is there a way to fix a corrupted RAR file?
- It says that your RAR file killed the unrar dynamic link library (DLL) that the extractor uses to decompress the RAR archive.
- The RAR file might be okay, might be corrupted, also, there might not be enough memory or hard drive space.
- First of all: Make sure, that there is enough free disk space available on your hard drive.
- Solution: Double-check that you have all RAR parts - if it is a multipart archive - and that they are all in the same folder. If the extraction fails, re-download all parts. Sometimes this still doesn't help, because the RAR files on the server might be corrupted already. In this case, try to contact the person who uploaded the RAR archive and kindly ask for a re-upload.
- There are lots of programs out there that promise to do so.
- BUT: There really is no program that can open CORRUPTED rar files. They are broken, destroyed, rubbish.
- Solution: Stop trying and get yourself fresh and unbroken copies of those RAR files. :-)
More RAR FAQ & Co.
If you like this RAR FAQ, you might want to visit some of the following pages with more details on RAR files:
Top Free Downloads